Monday, August 9, 2010
5:46 PM TAIN No comments
A slab of chocolate cake, oozing with chocolate frosting. Hot chocolate syrup on it, topped with chocolate shavings and a helping of chocolate icecream on the side.
Reading the above description, readers will be divided into two groups. One who, like my mother, will shudder at the first mentions of chocolate and very unwillingly continue reading. The other who, like me, will sigh in longing and go out of their way to satisfy their sudden craving. The first lot, I shake my head at in disbelief. The second lot, I high five. And to both the lots, I address this post to. Everyone knows the basic facts about chocolate. That it makes you feel good, that it’s made from the fruit of the Cacao tree, that it functions as an aphrodisiac. But today, we list fun facts about chocolate for you.
• The word chocolate originates from the Aztec word “xocolatl” which means “bitter water”
• 50 M&Ms have the same amount of caffeine as 1 cup of decaffeinated coffee.
• The first bar of chocolate was produced in 1842 by Cadbury’s in England.
• The Swiss consume the most amount of chocolate in the world, followed by the English.
• In the famous shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “Psycho”, chocolate was used to represent blood.
• Most women prefer receiving chocolates over flowers on Valentine’s Day.
• “Giri choco” is a Japanese custom which means “duty chocolate”. It calls for employees to give chocolates to their managers as a token of their loyalty.